This category recognises the impact of preventative initiatives to help people and their families and/or carers to live healthier lives and reduce the risk of developing diabetes, and of early diagnosis, and diabetes management initiatives for all other forms of diabetes to optimise outcomes and reduce complications.
Entries may be submitted by NHS organisations, charities, national bodies, CCGs, local authorities, schools, pharmacies and private/consumer brand initiatives operating at a locality, regional or national level.
Entries should demonstrate clear, specific goals with outcomes that have been evaluated using appropriate baseline and follow-up measures. There should be evidence of innovation, and detail of project planning, methods, safety considerations, effectiveness, timeliness, user feedback, cost efficiency and economic viability and evidence of potential/demonstrable sustainability and dissemination.
Entries to this category could include:
- Diabetes awareness and promotion of healthy diet and lifestyle for the general population and for specific at risk groups, such as those with a family history of type 2 diabetes, previous gestational diabetes, people from more socially deprived areas and the BAME community
- Life-threatening disease avoidance through initiatives which impact and lower risk of developing diabetes e.g. cardiovascular health, obesity interventions
- Initiatives addressing health literacy
- Increasing screening uptake or improving screening e.g. diagnosing diabetes. in optometrist practices, pharmacies, A&E, company health check initiatives
- Use of diagnostic tools
- Digital and technology initiatives to aid prevention, diagnosis or management of type 2 diabetes and/or associated complications: should be UK or Ireland based (even if they are used globally). Work must have been conducted during the 18-month period between July 2017 and December 2018
- Local/regional/national initiatives aimed at improving care and outcomes for people diagnosed with type 2 or gestational diabetes e.g:
- Psychological wellbeing initiatives addressing mood/depression, sexual dysfunction, disordered eating
- Dietary or weight management initiatives for those diagnosed with T2DM or GDM
- Annual care planning initiatives
- Patient safety modules
- Adapting best practice approaches for particular needs e.g. learning disabilities, other languages
- Blood glucose management/monitoring initiatives
- Innovations in prescribable diabetes therapies
- Innovative practice models supporting accurate and timely diagnosis or improving management and outcomes of complications relating to type 2, gestational and all other forms of diabetes e.g:
- Short-term: hypoglycaemia, hyperosmolar hyperglycaemic state (HHS)
- Long term: cardiovascular disease, ophthalmic complications, renal disease, autonomic or peripheral neuropathies, adverse pregnancy outcomes.