Dr Parijat De
Within a span of 1 year as Clinical
Lead, Dr De has brought about numerous changes both within the diabetes team
and the way diabetes patients are managed in the hospital.
He has led the in-patient diabetes
team, as a THINK GLUCOSE lead and champion, focusing particularly on patient
safety and safe use of insulin, through numerous simple innovations (new
pathways, email alerts, error notifications), improving education of
nurses/junior doctors and multi-disciplinary working in delivering safe and
effective diabetes care within the hospital as evidenced by positive audit
results and surveys.
1. A new stand-alone insulin prescription chart has reduced
insulin incidents from 60 to 37
2. A new, abbreviated DKA protocol and DKA App launched has shown increased
uptake and better satisfaction from junior doctors & reduction in LOS as a
result by 3.2 days
3. 74 staff have already completed the mandatory new steps to insulin safety
4. Daily hypoglycemia email alert introduced to target & educate problem
wards and individuals
5. A new monthly junior doctor insulin prescription error alert has reduced
errors from 19 to 8 in 6 months.